What are the benefits?

Deferred Action status will allow an individual to obtain the following:

  • Work Permit
  • Social Security Card
  • Driver’s License
  • The peace of mind knowing you will not be detained, placed into immigration proceedings, or be deported

Am I Eligible?

In order to be eligible for deferred action, individuals must:

  • Be between the ages of 15-30;
  • Entered the United States at age 15 or younger;
  • Must not have any lawful status on June 15, 2012;
  • Continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007;
  • Were present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012 and are currently present in the U.S.
  • At the time the application is submitted, the applicant must currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a general education development certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;
  • Have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security of public safety.

How Can I Apply?

The application and procedures to apply for deferred action should be in place by August 15, 2012. However, you should start preparing now. The government is anticipating nearly 1 million applications, so being the first in line will help avoid unnecessary delays. Call our immigration attorneys to get started with the process. For an initial payment of $250, we will begin your case by gathering all necessary documents and information so your application is ready to submit on the very first day! Call us now for a free consultation to determine your eligibility.

Benefits of Hiring Higbee & Associates

Our immigration attorneys are some of the best.  Not only are they experienced and knowledgeable, they are passionate about protecting the rights of immigrants and their families.

Hire us, and we will get it right the first time.

  • Experienced & Knowledgeable Attorneys
  • We Serve Clients Nationwide
  • Committed To Your Success
  • Flat-Fee Pricing
  • Flexible Payment Plans
  • Case Status Update Available 24/7
  • Attorneys On Call 7AM – 10 PM PST

Frequently Asked Questions

What is deferred action?
Deferred action essentially means that the government knows an individual is in the country without permission but will not seek to deport them. It also allows the applicant to obtain a work permit in two-year increments, if the need to work is demonstrated.  Deferred action is not permanent status and will not lead to a green card or U.S. citizenship by itself.

How much are the government filing fees?
The total government filing fees for both deferred action and work authorization are $465. The amount must be paid by check or cashier’s check to “The Department of Homeland Security”.

How can I demonstrate I entered the U.S. before age 15, that I have resided continuously since June 15, 2007, and that I was present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012?
Acceptable documents include, but are not limited to: financial records, medical records, school records, employment records, and military records.

How can I demonstrate I am currently in school, graduated from high school, or obtained a general education development certificate (GED)?
Acceptable documents include, but are not limited to: diplomas, GED certificates, report cards, and school transcripts.

What crimes will disqualify me from Deferred Action?

  1. One or more felonies where the term of imprisonment is more than one year;
  2. One or more “significant misdemeanors”, (explained below);
  3. Three or more misdemeanors (not significant misdemeanors).


What is a “significant misdemeanor”?

A significant misdemeanor is a federal, state, or local criminal offense punishable by grater than five days of imprisonment but no more than one year. The following are considered “significant misdemeanors”:

  1. Regardless of the sentence imposed, is an offense of domestic violence; sexual abuse or exploitation; burglary; unlawful possession or sure of a firearm; drug distribution or trafficking; or, driving under the influence;  or,
  2. If its not an offense listed above, is one for which the individual was sentenced to time in custody of more than 90 days. The sentence must involve time to be served in custody, and therefore does not include a suspended sentence.

What could count as a “public safety threat”?
We do not know. It could be that officials will look behind dismissed charges or juvenile delinquency adjudications to determine whether a person presents a public safety threat.  An example might be membership or association to a gang.

What could count as a “national security threat”?
We do not know. DHS broadly characterizes “participation in activities that threaten the United States” as a national security threat. This means it will not be limited to criminal convictions.

What should I do if I have an arrest or conviction?

  1. Get a copy of your record from whatever court your case was heard, including all juvenile delinquency adjudications. Try to get copies of police reports, a criminal history background check, or your “rap sheet.” Many states already have systems for you to collect your criminal history. In many cases, you can find it on your local county website or state government websites. Make sure you get them from all states where you believe you may have been arrested or convicted.
  2. Meet with an immigration attorney experienced in deportation defense or the immigration consequences of criminal convictions. Make sure they review all your arrest information and criminal conviction documents. Do NOT consult “Notarios” if you have a criminal history.

I am in removal (deportation) proceedings. What should I do?
If you are represented by an attorney, contact him/her immediately. If you do not have a lawyer, you should consult with one as soon as possible, especially if you have a hearing prior to September 2012.

If my request for Deferred Action is denied, will I be placed into removal proceedings?
Individuals who are denied Deferred Action will only have their case referred to ICE by USCIS if there is a criminal conviction on the individual’s record or if there is a finding of fraud in the request.  Anyone with a significant misdemeanor or disqualifying offense should refrain from applying for deferred action since it could lead to potential deportation.

Free Consultation With Our Immigration Attorneys!

Free Consultation!

WARNING: Don’t get scammed by “Notarios” who may want to help. It is very important you contact a qualified immigration attorney before applying.  Not every young immigrant will qualify for deferred action. Individuals who are found ineligible due to criminal history may be placed into removal proceedings. Therefore, you need to be positive of your eligibility before applying.

Call now to get free legal advice on your case at 559-742-4624.