Entry into Canada, whether to visit or immigrate, is a privilege that is not extended to everyone, especially those with certain criminal records. Canada has information sharing agreements with several countries, including the United States of America. This allows Canadian border agents to access criminal records and deny entry for offenses that are often considered low-level in other countries. Many travelers are horrified and embarrassed to be denied entry for such offenses as petty-theft, simple assault, driving under the influence, and many other charges. Working with a Canadian immigration specialist can help avoid this embarrassment and frustration.

If you have been denied entry into Canada or are deemed inadmissible there are ways to have the inadmissibility removed so you can travel or move to Canada and apply for a visa as long as you meet the other requirements. You can be deemed rehabilitated or granted an application for rehabilitation, which removes the inadmissibility due to the criminal cases, if you have met the designated waiting period for the particular offense on your record.

When applying for an application for rehabilitation, an immigration officer will review the application and the factors that are taken into consideration are:

  • The number of offenses and the circumstances of the offense
  • Your behavior since the offense
  • Your explanation of the offense and likely of not re-offending
  • Any support from your community
  • Why you believe you are rehabilitated
  • Your current situation


Applications for rehabilitation can take a year or more to process. Since not everyone is able to apply for admissible status and it is a lengthy and intricate process, it is important that you consult someone that is knowledgeable in the subject. Determining eligibility requirements and which program to utilize is a complex process that involves researching laws from at least two countries. It is also important to note, that if you are looking to have someone represent you, only an attorney licensed in Canada or a licensed Canadian Immigration Specialist can represent you before the Canadian Department of Immigration; anyone else will just be selling you forms (and often the wrong ones). We are not currently offering Canada immigration services.