What are the benefits?
Deferred Action status will allow an individual to obtain the following:

  • Work Permit
  • Social Security Card
  • Driver’s License
  • The peace of mind knowing you will not be detained, placed into immigration proceedings, or be deported

How can I apply?
Call us for a consultation with our qualified immigration attorney. If you are eligible, you can get started today with an initial payment of $250.

Am I Eligible?

In order to be eligible for deferred action, individuals must:

  • Be between the ages of 15-30;
  • Entered the United States at age 15 or younger;
  • Continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007;
  • Were present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012 and are currently present in the U.S.
  • Are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a general education development certificate, or are honorably discharged veterans of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;
  • Have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security of public safety.

Benefits of Hiring Higbee & Associates

Our immigration attorneys are some of the best.  Not only are they experienced and knowledgeable, they are passionate about protecting the rights of immigrants and their families.

Hire us, and we will get it right the first time.

  • Experienced & Knowledgeable Attorneys
  • We Serve Clients Nationwide
  • Committed To Your Success
  • Flat-Fee Pricing
  • Flexible Payment Plans
  • Case Status Update Available 24/7
  • Attorneys On Call 7AM – 10 PM PST

Frequently Asked Questions

What is deferred action?
Deferred action essentially means that the government knows an individual is in the country without permission but will not seek to deport them. It allows the person to apply for a work permit, though this is not automatic. Deferred action is not permanent status and will not lead to a green card or U.S. citizenship by itself.

How can I demonstrate I entered the U.S. before age 15, that I have resided continuously since June 15, 2007, and that I was present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012?
Acceptable documents include, but are not limited to: financial records, medical records, school records, employment records, and military records.

How can I demonstrate I am currently in school, graduated from high school, or obtained a general education development certificate (GED)?
Acceptable documents include, but are not limited to: diplomas, GED certificates, report cards, and school transcripts.

What is a “significant misdemeanor”?
A significant misdemeanor is a federal, state, or local criminal offense punishable by no more than one year of imprisonment or even no imprisonment that involves: violent, threats, or assault, including domestic violence, sexual abuse or exploitation; burglary, larceny, or fraud; driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs; obstruction of justice or bribery; unlawful flight from arrest, prosecution, or the scene of an accident; unlawful possession or use of a firearm; drug distribution or trafficking; or unlawful possession of drugs.

What could count as a “public safety threat”?
We do not know. It could be that officials will look behind dismissed charges or juvenile delinquency adjudications to determine whether a person presents a public safety threat.  An example might be membership or association to a gang.

What could count as a “national security threat”?
We do not know. DHS broadly characterizes “participation in activities that threaten the United States” as a national security threat. This means it will not be limited to criminal convictions.

What should I do if I have an arrest or conviction?

  1. Get a copy of your record from whatever court your case was heard, including all juvenile delinquency adjudications. Try to get copies of police reports, a criminal history background check, or your “rap sheet.” Many states already have systems for you to collect your criminal history. In many cases, you can find it on your local county website or state government websites. Make sure you get them from all states where you believe you may have been arrested or convicted.
  2. Meet with an immigration attorney experienced in deportation defense or the immigration consequences of criminal convictions. Make sure they review all your arrest information and criminal conviction documents. Do NOT consult “Notarios” if you have a criminal history.

I am in removal (deportation) proceedings. What should I do?
If you are represented by an attorney, contact him/her immediately. If you do not have a lawyer, you should consult with one as soon as possible, especially if you have a hearing prior to September 2012.

If my request for Deferred Action is denied, will I be placed into removal proceedings?
Individuals who are denied Deferred Action will only have their case referred to ICE by USCIS if there is a criminal conviction on the individual’s record or if there is a finding of fraud in the request.  Anyone with a significant misdemeanor or disqualifying offense should refrain from applying for deferred action since it could lead to potential deportation.

Consult With Our Immigration Attorneys!

WARNING: Don’t get scammed by “Notarios” who may want to help. It is very important you contact a qualified immigration attorney before applying.  Not every young immigrant will qualify for deferred action. Individuals who are found ineligible due to criminal history may be placed into removal proceedings. Therefore, you need to be positive of your eligibility before applying.

Call now to get legal advice on your case at (714) 716-8994.